Sunday, July 3, 2011

Writing with SPARKLERS




My husband is busy making deviled eggs, because what is the Fourth without deviled eggs, I ask you? I have seen some very cute/fun recipes for Independence Day, all from the blogs over to the right on my blog roll, definitely worth a look. I don't have any recipes of my own to add but I DID see a cute idea about writing messages with sparklers. If you'd like to try it, check out the tutorial, from photographer Nicole Hill at A LITTLE SASSY right here. Nicole uses a tripod but if you don't have one of those, I'm sure resting your camera on a table would work too.

I guess I must add that sparklers are VERY hot and can be dangerous for young children, so please use caution!

Spell out "USA" or maybe "NOEL" and use it for a Christmas card.

IMPORTANT NOTE: for my DSLR camera, a Nikon D80, I couldn't get the settings exactly as Nicole Hill suggested but setting the dial to auto, an ISO of 200, and disabling the flash worked the best. It took about 5 rounds of sparklers but we finally got an entire USA, and the kids had a great time trying it out. Good luck! The subjects are not in focus
(I should have used manual focus and focused directly on the subjects) and the sparklers aren't as nice and fat as her photo, but it worked okay. I bet using 3 sparklers each would have made them fluffier.
Whatever you decide, have fun and HAPPY FOURTH!

No comments:

Post a Comment